Monday 13 April 2015

Isstvan Weathering and future projects

Hi everyone and welcome to my latest blog post, this one as you can probably guess by the title is all about weathering my 30k vehicles. It isn't a tutorial or weathering master class but I wanted to share my method as it gives me the desired effect and is quick and easy to do. I was told this weathering technique at the Horus Heresy weekend event I was at a few weeks ago, as prior to this I was painting on weathering powder or just using texture paint. Now what I have done is using the forgeworld weathering powders, brushed on the powder in the desired areas and sprayed over it with army painter matt varnish to seal it on to the vehicle. I took a few pictures as I went so I could share them with you in this post. The look I was going for with my weathering was the black sands of the Urgal Depression on Isstvan V, the scene of the Dropsite Massacre and my legions first involvement in the Horus Heresy. Because I wanted the black sand look I was using Black Soot and Dark Earth powders.




Spartan with powder brushed heavily into the tracks and mud guards / assault ramp.




Sicaran with powder brushed and sealed onto the tracks and lower hull section.




Fire Raptor with black soot powder brushed back across the wings and hull to give a streaked effect.




Legion vehicles complete with weathering powder.
This is where I spray paint, on a beam of wood laid out across two chairs in the back yard.




I used black soot on the lower legs and feet of the Contemptors too for a burned or ash stained look.




Infantry I weather the lower legs using Typhus Corrosion paint, but Matt Varnish all the same.




So that's my quick overview of how I weathered my vehicles. I especially like the look of the raptor and intend to do something similar on drop pods in the future to represent the burnt after effect of atmospheric entry, with much heavier weathering from the bottom working its way up. That will be a project for another day however, currently I have a Legion Glaive to paint as well as several smaller tanks and some infantry. I have also started a couple of other projects which I will blog about in the future, including working my way through painting the entire Horus Heresy character series.




Horus Heresy characters waiting to be built and painted, each will get a post covering it's progress.







No comments:

Post a Comment